There are a few rules that need to be followed when driving in Malaysia. The main regulations are:
- Malaysians drive on the left side of the road and they overtake on the right side.
- The minimum age limit to drive a car is 17 years old and to ride a bike is 16 years old.
- The slow lane is the very left lane on a 3 lane road and the fast lane is the right most lane.
- And, driving under the alcohol influence is strictly prohibited.
- Seat belts are compulsory to be worn while driving.
- Driving without a driving license is not allowed and if you’re caught, then you will have to pay a fine.
Malaysian Driver’s Permit
Foreigners coming from nations under the Bi-lateral understanding (Australia, France, Denmark, Singapore, and so on) hoping to obtain an international driver’s license in Malaysia, should present the following documents at the Road Transport Department Malaysia.
A completed JPJL1 structure, which can be obtained at any RTD office nationwide, must be submitted along with the accompanying documentation:
- An original and a copy of the individual’s driving license.
- An original and a copy of the individual’s passport (compulsory valid for the next 6 months).
- A colored photo (25 mm x 32 mm).
- A processing fee of RM20.00.